Redmond & Bellevue Sexual Exploitation & Patronizing a Prostitute Defense Attorney
Western Washington has been cracking down on prostitution-related cases recently and the focus of law enforcement has been to arrest the customers, not the prostitutes. And to make things worse, prosecutors now want you to have a criminal record for this charge. We have recently fought many of these sting arrests and have been successful in getting these cases dismissed through legal motions, negotiation, and at trial. If you've been the target of one of these recent sting operations, call us today.
Court and Michelle developed a specialty representing those arrested in sex stings through their involvement with Dateline NBC’s To Catch A Predator show. Court was the first attorney in the country to take one of these cases to trial. Read about Court’s success with this first case here.
Recent Success in Prostitution Sting Cases
Common Sexual Exploitation & Prostitution Questions
While there is a minor difference, the two offenses are more or less the same. There are different prongs of these offenses that the prosecution can pursue, but the ultimate question a jury must answer in both is a version of the following:
Did the prosecution prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Mr. Jones agreed to pay a fee to [undercover officer X] pursuant to an understanding that in exchange she would engage in sexual conduct with him?
There are many compelling arguments that we make in favor of reasonable doubt to lead the jury to answer this question with a NO.
- That you solicited or requested someone to engage in sexual conduct with the you in return for a fee; [or]
- Pursuant to a prior understanding, you paid a fee to someone as compensation for her having engaged in sexual conduct with you [or]
- Paid or agreed to pay a fee to someone pursuant to an understanding that in return for the fee, she would engage in sexual conduct with you
Contrary to popular belief, entrapment is a very high legal standard and can be difficult to prove. When pursuing this defense, the burden of proof shifts to you (instead of on the prosecution, where it typically is) and you must convince a jury that you had no intent whatsoever to commit any crime but the police essentially talked you into it. For example, in a massage sting, you would have to prove that you only wanted a regular massage but the police convinced you to also pay for a hand job. Thus, it really depends on the facts of your particular case whether it will be advisable to pursue this defense or not.
The facts of your particular case will dictate what your defense will be. That said, the main three defenses are:
- Legal challenges to any possible violation of your constitutional rights
- Reasonable Doubt - You are presumed innocent and the burden rests solely on the prosecution to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. We are experts at picking apart the prosecutions evidence to find reasonable doubt wherever it may be and point it out to the jury.
Sexual Exploitation/Patronizing a Prostitute is a simple misdemeanor, meaning that the maximum possible sentence you could be facing is 90 days in jail. That said, assuming you do not have prostitution prior convictions, it's very unlikely you will have to go to jail as a result of a conviction. Aside from having a conviction on your record, you will likely also be required to do some or all of the following
- Go to a Sex Buyer's awareness class, also referred to as "John's School"
- Complete community service
- Pay a fine
- Stay out of areas of prostitution
We strive for one of the following outcomes:
- Outright Pre-Trial Dismissal: Typically only available if there is a major evidentiary problem and/or violation of your rights
- Stipulated Order of Continuance: Known as an "SOC" this is pre-trial diversion, which results in a dismissal of the charge without ever having a conviction on your record
- Not Guilty Verdict at Trial
- Deferred Sentence: This is where you enter a plea of guilty, then after you satisfy certain requirements, your plea can be changed back to a plea of Not Guilty and the case is then dismissed.
You’re not going to find a more qualified team to represent you, and we are going to get you the best possible result given the facts and circumstances of your particular case.
We work really hard and are very accessible to our clients. Try calling or texting us right now; if we don’t pick up right away, we will get back to you very fast.
We charge fair, competitive flat fees for our services. Here’s the problem you face with a lot of other attorneys: The ultra-expensive guys aren’t going to get you a better result than we are, and the dirt cheap guys aren’t going to much of anything for you at all. That’s where we come in. While we certainly don’t have the lowest fees in the Puget Sound, we won’t make you take out a second mortgage either.
Hire an attorney! Is this answer self-serving? Yes. Despite this, is it still the best possible thing you can do? YES.