Do I Need to Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
This is one of the questions we get asked frequently from people that contact our firm. There is no one-size-fits-all answer as the determination must be made on a case-by-case basis. However, odds are that if you're asking this question, then the answer is a resounding YES.
Yes, you need a lawyer when you are...
- Being investigated by the police
- Formally charged with a crime
- In jail
Should I get a private criminal defense attorney?
- Choice of attorney
- Personal attention to your case
- Call/text/email or meet in our office anytime
- Smaller caseload
- Personally vested in the outcome of your case
- Must pay for representation, BUT we offer free consultations and accept payment installments
Should I get a public defender?
- Free, but only if you qualify financially
- Must qualify financially
- No choice of attorney
- Difficult to reach by phone/email or meet in person
- Huge caseload
- Very little personal attention
Should I represent myself?
No. Don't do it. Ever.